Yesterday, I, along with almost 100 other writers, participated in an inspiring Zoom workshop led by the indefatigable Nikesh Shukla during which he shared his insights and advice on mentoring and its importance for writers from marginalised backgrounds.
I would like to offer mentorship to one such writer who is working towards their first novel. You should be unagented, without a significant publication record. Please note I am probably best placed to work with someone writing adult commercial or literary fiction as opposed to YA, children’s fiction, science fiction, fantasy, etc.
The mentoring will involve:
- An initial Zoom session where we establish specific goals for the mentoring.
- Four further monthly Zoom sessions where we discuss your work, how to achieve your writing goals and potential barriers to doing so.
- Review of up to 5,000 words of your work in progress, and specifically, any areas where you might be struggling.
- Production of specific steps to help you continue with your writing following the sessions.
- Sharing of resources I’m aware of that might be of assistance.
If you are interested in working with me, please send me the following information by Wednesday 17 June via my contact form:
- Your name and email address.
- 100 words about you and why you would benefit from mentoring.
- 100 words about your work in progress.
The selected writer will be notified by Wednesday 24th June. I will try to respond to all who apply, including those not selected, but this will depend on numbers.
I look forward to hearing about you and your words.